www.Scottish 4x4 forum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What winch?

3 posters

Go down

What winch? Empty What winch?

Post  jonmcghee Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:42 am

Need some advise please peeps. Winch size, i remeber reading someware the winch should be 3 or 4 (not sure which) times pull capacity than the motor curb weight, is this right? or is this completyly wrong. scratch
jonmcghee
jonmcghee

Back to top Go down

What winch? Empty what winch

Post  andy mac Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:32 am

i say the bigger the pull the better. i got my 13800lbs winch of e bay brand new for just under 250 quid to the door. its 2 years old and never let me down. you could spend a lot more for brand name but it all depends what your planning it for mine is not the fastest winch out there but it has pulled 2 discos out of the mud at the same time.
andy mac
andy mac

Back to top Go down

What winch? Empty Re: What winch?

Post  Roz Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:30 pm

its one of those things where the general rule is "the bigger the better" though it's usually governed by price.
My superwinch is an 8000lb one which isn't huge but it pulled an overturned discovery up an embankment where I could then get to it with the digger.

The lower capacity ones can be doubled up with a snatch block, which would give mine a pulling capacity of 16000lbs, just at half the normal drum speed.
Roz
Roz

http://www.shootingcommunity.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  jonmcghee Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:40 am

speed does not bother me, found out landy is just over 2.1 tons affraid yes i would love to just go and buy a huge one but as everyone pennys need to be watched, so i think of a start point would be good. so its nice to know what works and what does not.
jonmcghee
jonmcghee

Back to top Go down

Post  jonmcghee Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:29 am

Just found this usefull I thought

How big is your vehicle?
This calculation is relatively easy – get the gross weight of your vehicle – that is, the weight fully loaded, because when you get stuck it’s not going to be a empty vehicle. It’s going to have all sorts of people, dogs and equipment on board. If you are going to enter off-road competitions you need to double your gross weight to give you the size winch you need. If it’s general use then 1.5 times the gross weight will do. You need to multiply the gross weight because when you get stuck you won’t just be pulling the vehicle, but all the mud and muck you are stuck in as well. Don’t be persuaded to put on a bigger winch than you need for the job, as you will be using up precious battery life faster than you need to. Also don’t try and save money by buying too small a winch and burning out the motor.

For example, a Land Rover Discovery weighs about 1.75 tonnes but the gross weight is 2.5 tonnes. Multiply this by 1.5 and you get 3.75 tonnes = a 8,500lbs (3,860kg) winch and for competition the slightly bigger 9,500lbs (4,300kg) winch is ideal. The gross weight of a competition vehicle should be less than it’s maximum weight as you will have taken out any excess weight. If you have a fully equipped expedition 110 Land Rover weighing nearer 3 tonnes you would go up to a 12,000lbs (5,442kg) winch. These are not hard and fast rules but a good general guide.

taken from here

http://www.landroverexpedition.com/equipment/choosing-a-winch/

sorted now i need 12,000ibs winch
jonmcghee
jonmcghee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum