www.Scottish 4x4 forum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

paint!

4 posters

Go down

paint! Empty paint!

Post  gti-90 Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:20 pm

Anybody know of a good paint shop that has a scanner in the perth/inverness area, have heard that macgregors in inverness have is this rite? im only needing enough paint for a wing skin, tailgate, truckcab and other small touch ups. and rough prices on paint and what i need as its alu, sumbody was roaring etch primer at me elsewhere. any comments would be great cheers. Very Happy
gti-90
gti-90

Back to top Go down

paint! Empty Re: paint!

Post  CLUNYKNOX Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:28 pm

Hi for alloy you should use a etch primer i don't think you will get an exact match on the paint i get mine from Dinbro as i have an account with them lol!
CLUNYKNOX
CLUNYKNOX

Back to top Go down

paint! Empty paint!

Post  gti-90 Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:33 pm

rite ok where abouts is dinbro inverness?, how much does it cost you per litre? have heard its heavy on the wallet. Sad
gti-90
gti-90

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:41 pm

Any paint i have had is from Macgregors i found they are one of the cheapest and stock good paint my mate is a sprayer and he buys from there he says there hard to beat.
Steve
Steve
Admin

http://www.scottish4x4forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CLUNYKNOX Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:46 pm

Dingbro are behind macrae & dick landrover/honda you need an account to deal with them but i could get you to pay cash on mine i would have to tell them you were going in paint can range from about £10 a ltr to they name the price just depends what you want lol!
CLUNYKNOX
CLUNYKNOX

Back to top Go down

paint! Empty paint!

Post  gti-90 Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:31 am

i think ile try macgregors first save a wee bit work, many thanks andrew for the offer i mite try you yet if they cant supply, ive had a expert panel beater sprayer chap offer to spray it for me and sum1 else has offered me a electric sprayer and i should have access to maybe 3 sheds/garages. so all i need is the paint, had heard it was like £40 a litre but im glad to hear its cheaper Very Happy , do i need panel wipe or sumin stronger? to remove saps n tar alike. cheers.
gti-90
gti-90

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:08 am

Thinners will do mate Very Happy
Steve
Steve
Admin

Back to top Go down

paint! Empty paint!

Post  gti-90 Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:22 pm

righto will use thinners instead, thanks for the comments. cheers Smile
gti-90
gti-90

Back to top Go down

Post  CLUNYKNOX Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Baby wipes are good as well i don't know why mother use them on bairns backsides as they will lift paint marks off cars etc lol!
CLUNYKNOX
CLUNYKNOX

Back to top Go down

paint! Empty paint!

Post  gti-90 Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:37 pm

right, went to macgregors this aft and a chap behind the counter "said" i need a water based paint? and it costs between 60 and £70 a litre, i nearly choked! though the panel i took wasnt sufficient to scan. i only need to do the above ^ thread panels, anybody done any spraying and have a rough guess at how much paint id need? and if that water based paint is rite? its for a roughfish defender 90 with a few scratches and dents, so i dnt wana be paying that lol, any help? cheers.
gti-90
gti-90

Back to top Go down

paint! Empty paint!

Post  gti-90 Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:01 pm

ah ha. i have solved the mystery, lol. it seems i have a "special" landrover and its metalic, i have no idea about paints, just black and white to me lol! and the chap behind the counter is rite too lol i should have listened more, i doo need water based paints and it will cost that much and alot more nearly 200 before i start painting, and the laquer all needs to be baked and its ALOT of work, so going to a bodyshop 2mrw with a favour from a mate in the no with the panels except tc and see how much it would take a expert in to do it, better to do it right in the end ive decided. Very Happy
gti-90
gti-90

Back to top Go down

Post  CLUNYKNOX Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi spoke to dingbro to day 2 pack paint including gardiner & thinners about £50 per ltr single paint from £12 per ltr if you have the paint code i could get right price lol!
CLUNYKNOX
CLUNYKNOX

Back to top Go down

paint! Empty paint!

Post  gti-90 Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:33 pm

hopefully i will have the paint code tommorow, many thanks Andrew, the problem it seems with metalic is its got to baked to dry or itl stay tacky for a long time and it mite just be a waste of time in the end anyway, the bodyshop will have all the guns setup and the primers, thinners lacquer etc all in big doses should be cheaper this way for me, ile let you no 2mrw how i get on otherwise i mite have to try the roller, Razz ,
gti-90
gti-90

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:43 pm

I have done a bit of spraying so if ur stuck give me a shout
Steve
Steve
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Roz Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:55 pm

How did the painting go then?
Roz
Roz

http://www.shootingcommunity.co.uk

Back to top Go down

paint! Empty paint!

Post  gti-90 Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:09 pm

ah dont no yet. guna ring him 2mrw and see what he sais, he was going to fone LR with the chassis number to se if they could help him with the paint though im sure he could also use macgregors. got some lovely new bittys from paddocks arrived 2day, 4 decarbon shocks (very impressed with, theyv actually held the LR higher the take sum real boot to compress them, mind im only ickle lol), and sum turret rings and 4 extended bumpstops, shiny parts, lol!
having a good week? garry is staying with his relatives in a caravan aint he? lol!
gti-90
gti-90

Back to top Go down

Post  Roz Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:18 am

oooh, so it's nearly there!! Tyres and it's done! any thoughts on how long until you test it?

Aye Garry is staying with 3 other adults and 2 babies under a year old..... in a caravan.

He called it holiday, but I think he might have been joking!! lol!
Roz
Roz

http://www.shootingcommunity.co.uk

Back to top Go down

paint! Empty paint!

Post  gti-90 Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:04 pm

aye not long now, phoned the bodyshop 2day, next week now, Mad . still need to sort the front brake pipes out and bleed them, i was thinking that the first test new tyres or not would be infront of the log cabin, theres a wee ditch runs up there n with the huge 205/55 r 16s should test the cross axle ability alrite, ile give you a shout and you can come up if you want you can take her for a blap, see if we can put her on her roof, though hang on truck cabs are rare, on its side, lol! i also like the look of the swamp behind where the building stones are and the railway bank and that huge mound of soil, though ile do breathers and a snorkle of some kind before she goes swimming, and if big jock dont mind. what you think? tyres still undersided, thinking of a 35,11.50 r 16 at the mo they look good, bit wary of the mudzilla tread pattern, i no mates of mine have smaller baja claws and they avoid them now. bu maybe the size of the bigger tyre makes it worthwile any ideas folk? cheers. Very Happy
gti-90
gti-90

Back to top Go down

paint! Empty paint!

Post  gti-90 Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:02 pm

hi all, got me panels back from the bodyshop there on sat, excelent job, they look really good wel worth it, cheap for the quality of work and painting. just got to polish the other panels either side now gos it looks a wee bit faded now the otheers are shiny, when it stops raining! Very Happy Very Happy
gti-90
gti-90

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum