www.Scottish 4x4 forum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freelander viscous coupling problems

3 posters

Go down

Freelander viscous coupling problems Empty Freelander viscous coupling problems

Post  captain chaos Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Mrs Chaos has just got herself a 2005 freelander and I'm a bit concerned about the Viscous coupling giving up the ghost.
Anyone got any suggestions how to check for this and if all goes pear shaped how easy is it to fix?
captain chaos
captain chaos

Back to top Go down

Freelander viscous coupling problems Empty Re: Freelander viscous coupling problems

Post  CLUNYKNOX Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:32 pm

I have read about it in the lro mag but can't remember about it I will look on the lro forum and post a link lol!
Found one hope this helps
http://www.lro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35552
CLUNYKNOX
CLUNYKNOX

Back to top Go down

Freelander viscous coupling problems Empty Re: Freelander viscous coupling problems

Post  DICKY Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:11 pm

get a couple of bars one in each end and turn it .it will move very very slowly then its ok new ones have different oil in them and move a bit easier.if you start having problems with it drill a few holes in the front or back of the coupling and let the jelly drain out this can take a long time as its very thick and works better when its a hot day or in the garage with a heater under it the hole you drill is only 4 mm as you have to fit in a couple of grease nipples then you fill it with grease problem solved.but you have to do this before the IRD explodes and cost you a small fortune.a new coupling is £350 ish and i have one on the shelf hope this helps you
DICKY
DICKY

Back to top Go down

Post  DICKY Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:43 pm

i meant to say keep an eye on the rear tyres and if you see signs of scrubbing if you see any drive over gravely ground on full lock and see if its skipping at the read {just the same as wined up}if so its on its way out
DICKY
DICKY

Back to top Go down

Post  captain chaos Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Cheers for that, I'll wait for the outside temp to get into positive figures then go and have a closer inspection.
captain chaos
captain chaos

Back to top Go down

Post  CLUNYKNOX Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:51 pm

I thnk you better look at it before july though lol!
CLUNYKNOX
CLUNYKNOX

Back to top Go down

Post  DICKY Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
DICKY
DICKY

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down