www.Scottish 4x4 forum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What i have been doing

+3
jonmcghee
DICKY
drinksoptional
7 posters

Go down

What i have been doing Empty What i have been doing

Post  drinksoptional Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:41 pm

I own a 97 frontera sport and was directed here by Dicky a while back.
My frontera failed its MOT in july nothing major a corroded fuel line, corroded brake pipe , headlights lose and hole in the sill at drivers side. passed and advised on misty shocker, front bearings (need to be tightened up).

My dad offered to do the welding for me as i cannot weld nor own a welder and he can and has . He also offered to make the brake pipe`s. He took the old pipes and disaapeared for 3 weeks had to keep phoning and got this weekend eventually went and got them off him. I the mean time i had dropped the tank down and removed the corroded pipe and then waited for him to turn up with the welder again no show and no phone call to explain. i got excuses when i got hold of him on phone i asked to borrow the welder as i knew a guy that would weld for me. Well the welder never arrived. I fitted the brake pipes. while trying to source a welder cheap.A mate asked his old man to borrow an arc welder for me and i by luck a guy who was a mate`s friend who just moved into a flat i gave and delivered a 32" TV to for nothing . happened to be a qualified welder and appreciated the favour i had done. SAid i do the welding for you for nothing! Job done Ok it was two and half months later. By this time the weather was not good an i had some decorating to do and family stuff.

November: Fitted fuel pipe and refitted tank gave the fronty a jump start eventually it started warmed it up and gave it couple of revs while checking for leaks etc, all fine i noticed a wee black wire was lose and thought nothing of ii maybe its for the lights. Put it into gear and it kept trying to stall. Figured the wee black wire must be reason jammed the wire onto an earth just to try it. Jumped and saw steam jumped out and radaitor was spraying a fine jet of water thought" great a pin hole in my rad" jumped in tried to move it heard a pop and jumped out again looked underneath and all i saw was fuel pee out the tank guard and water pee out the front ARRRRGHH. The pipe i used was a rubber pipe i had not check the pressure of it. Called it a day got caught up in other things
December: Cut a sample of the old rubber pipe that was on corroded pipe. Went to pritek round the corner and said "give me pipe same diameter as that strecthed my arms out like i was on a cross and said "That lenght twice" he said about 2meters mate I replied "Dunno but i if i stretch my arms out like this i can almost reach where i want to it to connect to and need a bit extra so that twice thank you" wrong diameter would not fit. So following week removed all pipes and wiring dragged tank out removed sender unit put it in a carrier bag into car to pritek and said "i want a rubberf uel pipe to fit that this size twice please thank you" An after three days of 2hr shifts i got it running put other bits back on fixed headlight secure earth with a drill , loop connector and a self tapper. Manged to drive it out my drive way quicker than i hope asi had no brakes oops forgot to bleed. any way i drove 100yards turned it round and revered into drive way.So i just have brake to bleed and need to repair tank guard as the rust and been dragged about had put a hole in it. Then down to MOT station after XMAS

drinksoptional

Back to top Go down

What i have been doing Empty Re: What i have been doing

Post  DICKY Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:55 pm

GOOD luck mate hope it passes it MOT Laughing
when its ready give me a shout and we can go play at drumclog for a day.
DICKY
DICKY

Back to top Go down

Post  jonmcghee Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:38 pm

getting there now which is the main thing, mot no problem.
jonmcghee
jonmcghee

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:10 pm

That is some story im glad you are just about there now lol! if you are planning drumclog give me a shout i would be up for it.
Steve
Steve
Admin

http://www.scottish4x4forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Roz Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:37 pm

You have to love them though eh!!

Have you got a date booked for the MOT?
Roz
Roz

http://www.shootingcommunity.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  drinksoptional Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:58 pm

Cheers.Aye sorry for the story. Im up for drumclog and a novice crash course. I have not booked yet plan to go down tomorrow to MOT station round corner and find out his date s after XMAS. A bit of negotation with the wife to clear the household bills nothing much £150 quids worth then take it downH hope he passes it on the previose fails and lets me off with the advsiories then i can get on with it.
I going to replace the standard shock`s for better one`s and see if i can pick up a cheap set of part worn or new AT`s A. motor salvage place near me the guy says he keep a look out for some and keep them back for me and says he will look me out some steelie`s too. hope fully at a resonible price Wink

This is a plan but as we know it never goes as easy as it looks on paper

drinksoptional

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:02 pm

Nice one i may be able to give you some fronty wheels ant A/T if they are still there i will try and find out this weekend if they are still there you can have them for the taking lol!
Steve
Steve
Admin

http://www.scottish4x4forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  muppet Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:01 pm

great project and by looks of things you'll soon be in the mud. I start my search in the new year so hopefully get to play in the mud very soon :cheers: :cheers:

good luck with the wheels :)

muppet

Back to top Go down

Post  drinksoptional Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:58 pm

cheers for the offer

drinksoptional

Back to top Go down

What i have been doing Empty I is back

Post  drinksoptional Tue May 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Well since my last post i have been out an about with my little frontera. I went on the 3 lochs forest drive on sunday an was offroading on an abandoned farm near me on saturday. I got hold of a second hand set of pajero alloys with 31x10.50x15 insa turbo mud tyre`s of a 100 quid. i attened a few vauxhall owners meets an basically been enjoying have it back on an offroad.
What i have been doing Sat8thmayoffroading009
What i have been doing Sat8thmayoffroading007
What i have been doing Forestdrive006
What i have been doing Forestdrive009
What i have been doing IMG_1632
What i have been doing Forestdrive032
What i have been doing Sat8thmayoffroading008
What i have been doing Forestdrive036
What i have been doing Forestdrive018

drinksoptional

Back to top Go down

Post  CLUNYKNOX Wed May 12, 2010 12:24 am

Hi welcome back it's good to get offroad lol!
CLUNYKNOX
CLUNYKNOX

Back to top Go down

Post  drinksoptional Thu May 13, 2010 2:52 am

oh yeah i could get used to the good life lol

drinksoptional

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down